Released on 2014-08-01.
July has been a bumper month for Ratpack!
First of all, welcome to our latest committer Dan Hyun who has already made a significant number of contributions from Windows development improvements, ensuring
onClose events are fired when file rendering and some refactorings.
21 issues have been closed and there has been a massive 18 pull requests from 7 different contributors including:
- Gr8Conf EU Hackergarten contributions for routing based on host and redirecting from chain by David Tiselius and Álvaro Sánchez-Mariscal
- Documentation updates from Andre Steingress
- Replacing the custom fatJar implementation with the Shadow plugin by John Engelman
- Support for the new Groovy markup template engine by Cédric Champeau
- Jacoco & Coveralls integration by Cihat Keser
- Lazybones template updates by Kevin Greene
This release contains a breaking change which is an id change for the Gradle plugins to be Gradle Plugin Portal compatible. This means that the
ratpack plugin is now
Reactive Streams integration continues and the API in this area is now reaching a stable point. See this test for a sneak peak.
A very useful contribution was the addition of support for Groovy's new “markup” based templating system, contributed by core Groovy developer Cédric Champeau. This new templating approach is faster and more convenient than Ratpack's existing Groovy template support, which embeds snippets of Groovy code in text files, opposed to building the content programmatically as the new “markup” templates do. See the templates for the example-books project for examples.
A big thank you also to John Engelman who added very cool Gradle build time integration with his “Shadow” plugin for creating fat jars. Creating fat jars for deployment is now much faster, and far more configurable thanks to John's excellent plugin. John even added some documentation on the integration to the manual.
More work has also gone into the Ratpack manual. In particular, we have added some information on how Ratpack compares to other tools for creating web apps. Improving Ratpack documentation is a priority for us and expect to see some significant improvements in this area.
Big thanks also to Lari Hotari and Ratpack team members Jeff Beck and Rob Fletcher who all presented Ratpack talks at Gr8Conf US and set Twitter buzzing.
Last but not least, Rob Fletcher has printed up some sweet Ratpack stickers that he gave out during Gr8Conf. If you'd like to print your own and help spread the word, the graphic used can be used with sticker services such as Stickerhub.
-- Team Ratpack
Pull Requests (18)
-  - First take on Groovy DelegatesTo/Testing sections (andresteingress)
-  - Redirect (alvarosanchez)
-  - Issue #277: Add DSL/Handler for routing based on host. (traneHead)
-  - Issue #358 - replace custom fatJar with Shadow plugin (johnrengelman)
-  - Add support for the Groovy markup template engine (melix)
-  - Gradle version check now supports major version changes. (kramer)
-  - Add template resolution caching for faster rendering of simple templates (melix)
-  - Added missing closing quote to build.gradle (KevinGreene)
-  - Removed Slf4j annotation from ratpack.groovy (KevinGreene)
-  - Configuration to support a Groovy joint build (melix)
-  - Issue #376 - making autoescape true by default for groovy's markup templating engine (danhyun)
-  - adding myself to the contributors list (danhyun)
-  - Documenting Shadow Integration (johnrengelman)
-  - Make ratpack friendly to develop on windows (danhyun)
-  - Updating LaunchConfigsInternalSpec to fix tests on MacOs (danveloper)
-  - Adding missing fire event for onClose with file rendering (danhyun)
-  - Error handler protection (danhyun)
-  - Add Jacoco & Coveralls integration (kramer)
Resolved Issues (21)
-  - Integrated HTTP Client
-  - Add DSL/Handler for routing based on host.
-  - Improve test coverage for LaunchConfigs
-  - Integrate Groovy 2.3 markup engine
-  - Add redirect() method to Chain
-  - Replace custom fat jar tasks in ratpack-gradle w/ Gradle Shadow
-  - Integrate HttpUriBuilder into RequestSpec
-  - Log is flooded with "Cannot fire event with payload as event has been fired" after enabling CodaHale metrics
-  - Gradle 2.0 Support
-  - Slf4j annotation on ratpack.groovy causes errors
-  - Set autoEscape to true by default for groovy's MarkupTemplatingEngine
-  - Travis builds failing from unknown host exception
-  - Lazybones template ratpack version in the manual
-  - Add support for unit testing services that use ExecControl (i.e. perform async ops)
-  - Default redirect address uses ipv6 notation instead of localhost
-  - Windows Development Environment Friendliness
-  - Protection for error handlers throwing exceptions
-  - Request onClose callbacks are not fired when files are rendered
-  - Prepare Gradle plugin for Gradle plugin portal
-  - Get coverage metrics recorded using Jacoco and Coveralls
-  - Upgrade to Groovy 2.3.6